bug in yppasswd

Eric C. Pearce pearce at tycho.yerkes.uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 13 23:57:32 AEST 1988

Having just rewritten passwd (the non-YP version), yppasswd most likely
uses unames instead of uids to allow users to share uid's.

It seems to me uid sharing that this is not a good idea and can see only
one application for it.  Say a group of users working a the same project
would like to "pool" their disk quotas for the project.  Shared uids allow
this (I think).  One does have to wonder which user name ls will print and
the quota system will user for the "group".

     - Ecp

       Eric C. Pearce, Yerkes Observatory, University of Chicago.
       pearce at tycho.yerkes.uchicago.edu
       pearce%tycho.yerkes.uchicago.edu at oddjob.uchicago.edu