Shutting down a Sun System with a Shell Script

David Wiseman magi%uwocsd.uwo.ca at cornellc.cit.cornell.edu
Sun Dec 4 14:05:11 AEST 1988

In X-Sun-Spots-Digest: Volume 7, Issue 21, message 7 of 12
        From: STELLABO at CSHLAB.BITNET
Fred J. Stellabotte asks questions about taking suns down to single user mode
to run backup.

I've been playing with this for a little while and I may have a way to do
it.  First a note of caution: I haven't tried this yet but I cannot see
any reason why it won't work.

Build a procedure that replaces /etc/rc.boot with another shell script
(being careful not to lose rc.boot) and then forces a reboot. The
replacement rc.boot would do whatever you wanted then replace itself with
the original rc.boot and force a reboot again.

Has anyone out there tried this yet? Can anyone tell me why this is a
really stupid idea that should have been left in a wastebasket?

magi    David Wiseman, Network Manager
        Department of Computer Science
        The University of Western Ontario
        London Ontario Canada N6A 5B7