applying patches and changes?

Jim Wildman lynxys!jim at ee.ecn.purdue.edu
Sun Dec 4 08:02:22 AEST 1988

I realize that most of you probably know this, but I am new so I'll ask
anyway.  How do you apply the patches/changes to the various tools and
programs?  I am particularly interested in the cuckoo clock patch to
clocktool.  The shar file output is not produced by diff for ed (is it?)
I think I remember seeing a reference to something called patch(?) but
don't have it and don't know where to get it.  Help please.  Thanks.

[[ I decided to post this since there might be others out there in a
similar situation.  Without a doubt, the best way to apply a patch (or
diff) file is with the utility "patch".  It is in the user-contributed
portion of the Berkeley 4.3 BSD distribution and is freely
redistributable.  I will try to find a copy of the most recent version and
place it in the Rice archives.  It is probably the handiest program in the
Unix community, primarily because it makes updating all programs so easy.
--wnl ]]

	Jim Wildman
	Lynxys, Inc
	{ihnp4|iuvax|decvax}!pur-ee!lynxys!jim