SunOS 4.0 dialin/dialout

Charlie Dennett dennett at kodak.com
Wed Dec 21 14:46:25 AEST 1988

In article <1517 at spp2.UUCP> wiley!spp2!news at uunet.uu.net (NETNEWS) writes:
>I have a Sun 3/50 running SunOS 4.0 and I'm trying to get ttya and/or ttyb
>to be able to both dialin and dialout.
>
>I have no problems dialing out, but when I dial in I get no login prompt.

The only thing you did not mention was making a new entry in /dev with the
same major devide number as /dev/ttya but with the minor device number 128
greater.

This sounds like the same thing that happened to me on my 3/260 when I
installed 4.0.  When I went to test the modem I could dial out fine.  I
then went back to my desk where I have a modem attached to a terminal.  I
dialed the modem on my Sun and I did not get a login prompt.  The modem on
the Sun has a built in speaker and I head the following when it answered
the phone: a single frequency tone, then another single frequency tone
that was higher in frequency than the first.  That was it.  I'm used to
hearing the usual "modem noise" after the second tone, but it never
happened.

Now for the strange part.  I (and others) can dial in to the Sun from
other places (home, for example) and it works, so it would seem that the
modem (and getty process) on the Sun are not the problem.  But, I can also
use the modem at my desk to call other systems, so it would seem that it
is not that, either.  Let's see.  What does that leave as a possible cause
of the problem?

I'm also interested in a solution to this problem.  Everyting worked when
I was on 3.5.  My modem in on ttya (renamed to ttyd0 with cua0 as the
outgoing device.)  I've also had problems with the serial printer I have
on ttyb.  The flow control does not seem to work any more.  I've had to
cut back on the baud rate to keep from losing characters.

Charlie Dennett - Eastman Kodak Company
UUCP: ...rutgers!rochester!kodak!dennett
      ...rutgers!rochester!kodak!cygnus!dennett