Screen blanking on 386i

Glenn Roberts gfr at wolfgang.mitre.org
Sun Dec 25 08:51:40 AEST 1988

This one took me a while to figure out so I thought I'd pass the
information along:  The default configuration on the 386i has an annoying
'screen blanker' running.  This blanks the screen every 5 or 10 minutes or
so in such a way that when you move the mouse the entire screen must be
repainted (instead of the usual "instant on" typical of
/usr/bin/screenblank).  If you "grep" through the /etc/rc files you won't
find where this screen blanker is started.

The way to turn this blanker off is to remove the "-n" option from the
console entry in /etc/ttytab.  This will also keep the system from running
the cute "login tool".   You can then run the normal screenblank utility
by adding a line to /etc/rc.local.  I include the flag "-d 1800" to set
the delay to 30 minutes.

- Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corp., McLean VA (703)-883-6820
  gfr%wolfgang at gateway.mitre.org