Summary of responses for the 4.0 performance on 3/50

Charles Hedrick hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu
Wed Dec 14 18:57:55 AEST 1988

>One user said that the problem was not in 4.0 as such but in 'suntools',
>and he was using 3.X suntools. I haven't tried that, I am not sure if the
>binaries are compatible.

Almost all 3.X binaries will run under 4.0.  The only case I recall where
that wasn't true was Common Lisp, because it depended upon details of
where the stack is put, and that changed.  I've actually been surprised at
how much compatibility there really is.  The 3.2 Suntools binaries work
just fine under 4.0, and perform better than the 4.0 Suntools.  I
understand that if you have lots of windows, there are some performance
problems with Suntools under 4.0, even if you move back to the 3.2
version.  Our operators typically keep a window open to just about every
machine on the network.  I'm told that this worked OK under 3.2, and is
terrible under 4.0.  More normal Suntools uses seem OK as long as you use
the 3.2 Suntools.