Multiple dumps to /dev/nrst8 fail

Steve C. Simmons umix!itivax!scs at uunet.uu.net
Fri Dec 23 07:19:27 AEST 1988

In article <855 at mcrware.UUCP> mcrware!kim at uunet.uu.net (Kim Kempf) writes:
>I'm having a problem with cartridge tape dumps that used to work on SunOS
>3.5 and now doesn't on SunOS 4.0.  The following:
>
>	dump 6ucf /dev/nrst8 /dev/rxy0e
>	dump 6ucf /dev/nrst8 /dev/rxy0f
>
>all dumps fine with no reported problems.  restore will only work on the
>first file saved.  Attempts to restore the other files on the tape (with

Bug in 4.0.  Fixed in 4.0.1?  Who knows.  Workaround: to restore from
later save sets, do a 'mt -f /dev/nrst8 fsf <n>' to get close, then one
instance of 'mt -f /dev/nrst8 rsf 1'.  Now give the restore command.

The bug is in the tape positioning.  Apparently when you do the 'fsf', it
does not leave the head quite far enough down the tape to get past the end
of the tape mark.  The 'rsf' (record skip forward) gets it enough further
down the tape that 'restore' works.

Steve Simmons		...!umix!itivax!scs
Industrial Technology Institute, Ann Arbor, MI.