And then he moved /boot to /usr...

Celeste C. Stokely celeste at coherent.com
Tue Dec 20 09:56:51 AEST 1988

Yes, as it turns out, /boot is in a VERY particular spot. something like
starting at disk block 15 or some such voodoo. The only way you can get it
back in the right place is by running "/usr/etc/mdec/installboot xx yyyy",
(under 3.x, anyway), which of course isn't documented.

Say it's a server with xy disks. You do:
installboot bootxy xy0a
(at least, I think you'd say xy0a. try it. if you can then boot, you did
it right.)

installboot is a shell script which does a dd of the bootfile to a spot on
the disk. Installing bootblocks is all /usr/mdec is used for, I believe.

..Celeste Stokely
Coherent Thought Inc.
UUCP:	...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!celeste   Domain: celeste at coherent.com
Internet: coherent!celeste at ames.arpa or ... at sun.com or ... at uunet.uu.net
VOX:  415-493-8805
SNAIL:3350 W. Bayshore Rd. #205, Palo Alto CA  94303