ALM-2 problems

REISMAN%MAR at io.arc.nasa.gov REISMAN%MAR at io.arc.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 2 02:21:59 AEST 1988

We also had problems with our ALM-2 lines. When connecting to the outside
world via our MICOM switching network we would sometimes lose data.  The
problem was traced to faulty flow control that screwed up the
interswitches.

The bottom line is that Sun has had many problems with their Sun OS 4.0
tty driver.  They are still working on the driver, and I hear they expect
to make an official release soon (i.e. by Q1, `89).  In the meantime Sun
will send a better tty driver upon request.

We called 800-USA-4SUN and had the good fortune to be assigned to Mark
Eades.  He knew about the problem and sent us a tape with a note that
began:

	This tape contains some new kernal modules
	and drivers to fix up a few problems with
	serial devices. In particular, it is aimed at
	handling the modem "DTR" signal, implementing
	flow control, and allowing the ALM-II's
	printer port to be used without crashing.

So far the fixes seem to be working.

Ron Reisman			NASA Ames Research Center
reisman at arc.nasa.gov		Moffett Field, CA 94035