Running Suns with no keyboard but using both rs232

Joe Michel-Angelo tekbspa!tss!joe at uunet.uu.net
Fri Dec 9 22:46:41 AEST 1988

mcvax!cs.aber.ac.uk!dap at uunet.uu.net:

> If the machines do not have a keyboard, they look to ttya for console (so
> say the documents) input .  We want to stop them. The observed fault is
> that they apparently boot (light patterns all ok etc) but no matter how
> long you wait they never properly come on service...

Chances are le' Sun is looking for a signal to come up on the RS232 port
and it's halting in monitor/prom.

You can tell le' Sun to use a tty port, which one, and even what baud
rate. But as far as I know ... You can't tell the machine it doesn't have
a head! How would you feel without a head!??!

If your problem is that you simply don't have a terminal, then make a
strange cable.  Otherwise, you be oudda luck...(afaik)

----

BTW: here's how you change the console/tty baud rate (did I ever post this
information here??!)

	Uucp: sun!jgath
	Arpa: jgath at sun.com
	Subject: Re:  eeprom setting of scc baud rate

	For port A:

	Location 0x58 determines default 9600 (00) or user specified (12)

	Locations 0x59 and 0x5a define the baud rate

 		 300         01       2c
 	 	 600         02       58
		1200         04       b0
		2400         09       60
		4800         12       c0
		9600         25       80
		19200        4b       00
		38400        96       00

	Joe Angelo -- Senior Systems Engineer/Systems Manager
	at Teknekron Software Systems, Palo Alto 415-325-1025
	joe at tss.com - uunet!tekbspa!joe - tekbspa!joe at uunet.uu.net