SunOS 3.2 tip problems

Carolyn Wasikowski jc at athena.lle.rochester.edu
Sun Dec 4 13:24:47 AEST 1988

I had had the same problem on my Sun2 running 3.4.  The quick-and- dirty
fix was to give the world 'rwx' permissions for the directory
/usr/spool/uucp.  It seems that although tip creates the lock file as root
(or, in my case, as uucp), it deletes it as the actual user.  Of course,
changing the directory's permissions gives everyone the ability to create
files in /usr/spool/uucp, but they still can't delete anything.

>I also have the problem that tip won't disconnect when the
>other modem drops the connection.

I can't help you here.

>What is the recommended way to patch these two problems?

If you can find a better solution, I'd like to hear about it.

jc at lle.rochester.edu  -or-  {allegra|seismo}!rochester!ur-laser!jc
image analysis lab sys admin, lab for laser energetics, u of r, ny