document writing systems

Chuck Musciano chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com
Thu Dec 1 15:17:55 AEST 1988

> We are currently using "troff" for all of our documents, occasionally
> using "pic" to imbed pictures and diagrams (we have an internally written
> tool that generates "pic" output).  While this fills our needs for the
> short term, I'm sure that there must be better solutions.

We use Frame Maker, from Frame Technology.  It gives you imbedded
graphics, WYSIWYG document generation, good interface, and great looking
documents.  It is licensed on a network basis, not on a one per CPU
arrangement.  You can write custom front/back ends to match any existing
document formats you have.  It doesn't have a document database, but I
don;t know of many packages that do.  Best of all, you can get a free demo
copy!  Just call 1-408-433-3311 for more information.

By the way, free demos are a great idea.  Frame's demo has everything, but
saving is disabled.  Some packages which are used for document/artwork
generation come with save and print (!) disabled.  Who in their right mind
would buy a package whose fundamental job is producing an image without
testing the print function?  When will these vendors wise up?

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation
(407) 727-6131