Live Video in a Windowing Environment?

Randall Johnson sunkist!sol!ariel!randall at sun.com
Wed Dec 14 23:19:11 AEST 1988

We have a need for displaying live video in a Sun 386i windowing
environment. Live may be as low as 2 frames/sec with a 512x512x8 bit gray
image. Analog video switches are out. We have been using Parallax boards
with our VAX equipment, but $9000 a set is too much for our 386i based
application. There are plenty of frame grabber boards for AT slots, but
they require a separate display monitor and do not integrate into the
windowing system. We have designed a SCSI image capture peripheral and
plan to slam the image data into memory where it can be picked up and
loaded into a pixrect.

I am interested to know if anyone has successfully incorporated live (or
pseudo-live) video into their Sun windowing systems without special
interfaces, accelerators, etc.