/etc/dump failing with SIGIOT

mcvax!gec-epl.co.uk!Don_Ward at uunet.uu.net mcvax!gec-epl.co.uk!Don_Ward at uunet.uu.net
Sat Dec 3 04:26:40 AEST 1988

Recently /etc/dump stopped working and generated the following error
message:

  DUMP: SIGSEV() ABORTING!
IOT trap (core dumped)

adb said
SIGIOT 6: undefined

The problem was eventually traced (by Sun UK support) to this erroneous
line in /etc/fstab

grumpy: /ufs/digest /ufs/digest nfs ro 0 0

Experienced administrators (unlike me) will be able to see the problem
immediately: it should be

grumpy:/ufs/digest /ufs/digest nfs ro 0 0

Isn't it amazing what an extra space can do?  The moral of this tale is,
if your dump starts to misbehave, check /etc/fstab *very* carefully.

I'm still running 3.2 on a 3/160, but the 3.5 binary does exactly the same
thing.  I don't know about other versions of SunOS or different
processors.

Don Ward
Systems Design Division
GEC Electrical Projects Ltd             Email: Don_Ward at gec-epl.co.uk
Boughton Road, Rugby, CV21 1BU UK.      Tel:   (+44 788  or 0788) 542144