FTP problem on 3/60's

David L. Markowitz felix!arcturus!dav at hplabs.hp.com
Sat Dec 3 06:29:45 AEST 1988

I have an unusual problem on a small, isolated Sun network.  This network
has a Sun 3/180, a few /50's and /60's, and a vax w/ Excelan TCP/IP.  The
Suns are running 3.4.  This setup has been working fine for months, but a
recent system disk crash and rebuild seems to have fouled some things up.

The symptom is that when FTP'ing FROM any 3/60 TO anywhere (including
itself), FTP is unable to bind any sockets.  It fails with a "Can't assign
requested address" error.  FTP thus cannot do an "ls", "send" or "get", or
any other operation requiring data transfer.  "cd" succeeds.

All the appropriate entries are in the services and protocols YP maps (I
believe).  Any suggestions?

	David L. Markowitz		Rockwell International
	...!sun!sunkist!arcturus!dav	dav at arcturus.UUCP