SCSI cable length

Ted Kim ATW penzance!tek at uunet.uu.net
Mon Dec 12 16:55:51 AEST 1988

erickson at ics.uci.edu (Gary Scott Erickson) writes:
>I would like to attach a shoebox disk to the SCSI port of a 3/60.  Anyone
>know what the maximum length can be?  The person using the 3/60 would like
>the disk in a different room because of the noise.

The recommended maximum is 6 meters. With the cable in the box and the
various connectors, we cut our cable to be 18 feet.

The length figure comes from what we read in the back of the Adaptec 4000
(SCSI controller) manual. It is supposed to be based on the following:

True (LOW signal) = 0 to 0.4 VDC @ 48 mA (max)
False (HI signal) = 2 to 5.25 VDC

open collector drivers terminated with 220 ohms to +5 V (nominal)
	and 330 ohms to ground at each end

&ted	ARPAnet: tek at penzance.cs.ucla.edu
	UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!ucla-cs!tek