ghost of a single-user shell?

munnari!vaxa.uwa.oz.au!I_MASSEY at uunet.uu.net munnari!vaxa.uwa.oz.au!I_MASSEY at uunet.uu.net
Sat Dec 10 11:15:47 AEST 1988

Maybe someone knows the reason for this.  Maybe everyone knows it.  But I
don't.

It's a 3/160 running SunOS 3.4  On Monday mornings for the level 1 dump
(monthly level 0s, daily level 5s for which we just stop Oracle, to
continue the dumps discussion) we bring it down to single user.  We run
dump from the console (a Korean ps-VT100, normally locked in the cabinet
with the machine), and then exit the (single-user) shell, whereupon we
come up multi-user; fine.

BUT from then on who claims that root is logged in to the console, even
though all that's on there is a login prompt, and ps knows of no
corresponding process.

Does an exiting single-user shell not clean up properly after itself?  Am
I missing something?

tia
i.

Iain Massey, Division of Public Health, Department of Medicine
The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, 6009

Phone : +61 9 389 2462                        Fax  : +61 9 389 3648
ACSnet: I_MASSEY at vaxa.uwa.oz                  CSnet: I_MASSEY at vaxa.uwa.oz.au
ARPA  : I_MASSEY%vaxa.uwa.oz.au at uunet.uu.net  JANET: vaxa.uwa.oz.au!I_MASSEY at ukc
UUCP  :
 {enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,uunet,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!vaxa.uwa.oz.au!I_MASSEY
BITNET: via uunet.uu.net                      Telex: AA93446