Yet another finger hole

Tony Nardo trn at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Sun Dec 4 09:02:40 AEST 1988

In X-Sun-Spots-Digest: Volume 7, Issue 22, message 8 of 14
   natinst!brian at cs.utexas.edu (Brian H. Powell) writes:
>This will cause in.fingerd to run as nobody instead of root....

There's a slight problem with this, as some of you may have discovered by
now.  When I used "nobody" in inetd.conf, cron sent root a mail message
every day at 00:15 complaining about a daemon having a negative user ID.
Other than that, "nobody" works just fine.

I set up user "news" as my safe user name in inetd.conf, and "cron"
stopped complaining.

I really should have tried "chown nobody in.fingerd ; chmod 6755
in.fingerd" on SunOS 4.0 first.  From the mail I've received, it sounds
like that's the most universally accepted solution.

ARPA, BITNET:   trn at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu		(when our link is fixed)
UUCP:		{backbone!}mimsy!aplcomm!trn	(stopgap measure)