mti + 4.0 + sparc = problems?

Ed Arnold era at scdpyr.ucar.edu
Sat Dec 3 10:34:43 AEST 1988

In v7n23, I requested info from anybody who has had the same type of
problems we experienced with the MTI serial ports on our 4/280 running
4.0.

Sun responded with a solution to this one fairly quickly.  If you should
experience the same set of problems:

1) Install the "general tty patch" which I discussed in my earlier note.
   You'll have to call Sun to get it.
2) Configure your streams buffer pool so that "netstat -m" doesn't show
   any allocation failures.  (This is not discussed, so far as I could
   find, in the advanced kernel config guide.)  Don't waste your time
   trying to put "options NBLK4096=8,NBLK..." into your config file,
   it doesn't work; edit the NBLK* parameters in param.c.
3) If, after this, you still find "getty: /dev/ttyXX: I/O error"
   messages on your console, then you may have a user who has
   left behind programs in your process table that are trying
   to write to tty(s) on which there is no carrier.

Incidentally, "#define MAXUPRC (NPROC-5)" is still in server param.c under
4.0, allowing ordinary users to (smack gulp munch) your server's process
table.  Caveat emptor.

Ed Arnold * NCAR (Nat'l Center for Atmospheric Research) * Mesa Lab
PO Box 3000 * Boulder, CO  80307-3000 * 303-497-1253 * 303-494-6949 (home)
era at ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * {ames,gatech,noao,...}!ncar!era