Should this disk be so slow

Bob Philbin nicmad!philbin%astroatc.UUCP at cs.wisc.edu
Sat Dec 17 00:12:48 AEST 1988

You will get poor performance on the Max 8760E if you get the sector
jumpers wrong.  I installed one on Sun 3/160C with the Emulex MD21 and saw
the same problem until I:

* Removed JP 31 ; the manual is unclear but with this in, the drive is set
up for soft sectors.  It is a miracle that it works at all this way, but
it does.  Very slowly.

* Set the sector size jumpers to JP 25, 22, 20, 19, and 18. This makes the
drive use 604 bytes per sector.  This gives you about 52 sectors/track.
You will actually use 51.

* Reformatted the drive:  1624+3/15/51, 1-1 interleave.

The above setup works for a drive with a firmware rev of A.18.  I had to
use MD21 firmware rev A98DX04 to get anywhere with the Maxtor.  Save your
old MD21 PROM; you will need to use it if you ever have to reformat the
Micropolis (or Toshiba).

Bob Philbin
Nicolet Biomedical Instruments
Madison, WI