sendto() crashes my sun

Casper H.S. Dik dik at uva.UUCP
Fri Dec 16 08:10:12 AEST 1988

stcspe!dfr at stcvax.UUCP (Dennis F. Reed) writes:
>i have a simple(?) application developed on a 4.3bsd vax which uses unix
>domain datagram sockets to communicate between processes.  most packets
>are small (<128 bytes).  i moved it over to a sun-3 running sunos 3.5
>(also tried a sun-2 running 3.4) and it appears that when a process calls
>sendto(), the system crashes with the message:
>
>panic: sbappendaddr
>
>is this a know problem?...

I had the same problem some time ago. SOCK_DGRAM in AF_UNIX is a *nightmare*.

I got various panics:

panic: sbappendaddr
    This happens when sending a zero length package,
    Work around: test on message length

panic: bread: size 0
    This happens when doing a cat > socket.

No SIGURG/SIGIO is send when FASYNC is specified.

Using MSG_OOB gives a panic(forgot which) too instead of
'Protocol not supported'

Also some bus errors occured, though seemingly random.  The programs I
wrote worked alright on a Gould running UTX 2/06.  Apparently, the code
for this little used protocol is very poor.

I stopped using SOCK_DGRAM,AF_UNIX and did a rm on the programs I wrote.

Casper H.S. Dik
University of Amsterdam     dik at uva.uucp
The Netherlands             ...!uunet!mcvax!uva!dik