Video Frame Buffers for Sun 3/160

John Eadie mnetor!geac!geaclib!eadie at uunet.uu.net
Tue Dec 13 21:36:51 AEST 1988

In article <8811142204.AA20453 at tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM> you write:
>I plan to get a 3 x 1024 x 1024 video frame buffer for our Sun 3/160
>workstation. I am specifically looking for an RGB (3 planes ) or RGB +
>overlay ( four planes ) frame buffer that can plug into the VME bus of our
>machine. This frame buffer also should feature an option for interlaced
>(32kHz line frequency) or non-interlaced (64kHz line frequency) display. I
>would like the video memory to be least 24 bits per pixel deep ( 8 bits
>per pixel per color ).  The Sun TAAC-1 board certainly meets all the
>requirements mentioned above. I would like to know whether there are other
>companies offering similar products. Thank you in advance for your help.

Have you heard of a company called Primagraphics, out of the UK?  For a
while I was supposed to be selling their products (I never bothered to
study brochures & stuff, even, although I saw their hardware in England).
I had other things to do at the time.

They sell VME board sets that I'm sure will do you, that are cheap.  A
friend of mine at Sun Advanced Research in Mountain View bought a mess of
their frame buffers.  So far they've mostly sold in Europe: to the BBC,
museums in France, etc., etc.

If you want to know more, mail me, or phone me, and I'll dig out the info
and so on .. if you mail me, don't use 'r', use my signature addresses
because there is currently a topology problem in the maps on account of
'suncan'.

-john

John Eadie, Computing Art, jeadie at sun | jae at suncan, (416) 536-9951
#303, 25 Liberty, Box 1309, Stn 'A', Toronto, Canada M5W 1G7