Huge icons on Sun

Root Boy Jim rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov
Fri Dec 2 16:40:36 AEST 1988

My favorite technique is to glom icons together with emacs. Here is a
brief explanation of what you must do. The standard 64x64 icon seems to be
formatted as 32 lines of 8 16 bit numbers. Each line will create two scan
lines of the icon. First, take your four favorite icons and reformat them
to form 64 lines of 4 16 bit numbers. This changes nothing, but now each
line produces only one scan line of the icon. Strip the headers off each
one. I am going to call the {upper,lower}{left,right} icons UL, UR, LL,
and LR. Now 'cat UL LL > LEFT; cat UR LR > RIGHT'.  Then 'pr -m LEFT RIGHT
> WHOLE', or use emacs' yank-rectangle. Finally, fix up any missing
commas, and prepend this header line:

/* Format_version=1, Width=128, Height=128, Depth=1, Valid_bits_per_item=16
 */

It is left as an exercise how to create 3x3, 4x4, etc., icons.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	(301) 975-5688
	<rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov> or <rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>