Simulating Users on Sun 3/60 running X Windows

Sleaze Hack joshua at athertn.atherton.com
Thu Dec 15 18:24:16 AEST 1988

sun!athsys!jim at decwrl.dec.com (Jim Becker) writes:
>I have the task of determining how to capture a user session on the Sun
>(mouse & keyboard events) and then replay it automatically.  The purpose
>of this is to create test scripts that can be used for Q/A.

Part of the answer to this may be XDR, Sun's data representation standard
for RPC.  You could use XDR to store all the complicated Event structures
into a file, and then read them back later.  Something like this:

        In Record Mode                      In Play Mode

  user ---> XEvent ---> program              XEvent ---> program
               ||                               /\
               XDR                              ||
               ||                               XDR
               \/                               ||
              file                             file

Obviously, you would have to replace XEvent with your own version, but
that would not be to difficult.  WARNING: I have not done this, and
therefore do not know if it will actually work.  The last time I played
with X was X10r4, so things may have changed.

I anyone gets something like this to work, please email me, since our QA
group will be fighting the same battle soon.  Better yet, post the new
version of XEvent to comp.sources.x.  XDR is documented in the red section
of the Sun documentation, and is publicly available.

Josh
--------
Addresses:
joshua at atherton.com OR
sun!athertn!joshua  OR
{backbone}!{decwrl!hpda}!athertn!joshua  work:(408)734-9822 home:(415)968-3718