Syslogd is eating my CPU for breakfast

John Ioannidis ji at read.cs.columbia.edu
Sun Dec 4 10:43:20 AEST 1988

In article <2368 at cloud9.UUCP> you write:

>Syslogd sometimes, rather mysteriously starts consuming an inordinate
>amount of CPU time, to the extent of driving up my load averages to
>unbelievable levels...

RTFM!  I'm quoting from the SunOS Release 4.0 READ THIS FIRST, page 3:

7. The symbol LOGHOST is not correctly defined by syslogd on loghost
machines.  This results in 100% CPU usage and syslod accumulating
large amounts of CPU time.

To prevent this problem insert the following line at the beginning of
/etc/syslogd.conf on loghost machines:

	define(LOGHOST, 1)

[[ My thanks to everyone else who has sent in (or will send in) similar
information.  --wnl ]]

/ji

In-Real-Life: John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis
P-Address: Domaine de Voluceau, BP 105 / Rocquencourt 78153 Le Chesnay / France
V-Address: +33 1 39635417
E-Address: ...!mcvax!inria!bdblues!ji, ji at bdblues.altair.fr
Alt-E-Address: ji at cs.columbia.edu