Paul Quare pq%research2.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 17:03:56 AEST 1988

Here is some information on problems I encountered when trying to link
(occam) object files produced from a Transputer Development System (TDS)
with 4.0 C object files.(This is basically the note I've passed on to Sun)
I was trying to build a static version of the required program, (using
-Bstatic etc)

By experiment,I have discovered that the omission of "-e start " from the
ld options has a surprising effect!This flag is a default under 3.X but if
omitted under 4.0 seems to cause ld:

	a) to make the output dynamically bound
	b) to not set up an entry point

To reproduce this do

	cc -dryrun anything.c
	cc -dryrun -Bstatic anything.c

on 3.5/4.0 systems.  This shows the commands that cc generates - then try
using the ld line on an anything.o file,with and without the -e start
under 3.5/4.0(+.-Bstatic).  There is no reference to this (change in)
behaviour in the man page and I cannot find it elsewhere,e.g. in
Programming Utilities and Libraries.(4.0) (There is a comment on page 55
of that manual - halfway down - NOTE)

Paul Quare
Dept Computer Science,Manchester University,U.K.
pq at r2.cs.man.ac.uk