Tape drive problems...

Scott Comer wert at rosetta.com
Fri Dec 23 02:17:36 AEST 1988

I have a Sun with a shoebox(1) with a 70mb disk in it and another
shoebox(2) with a 70mb disk and a 1/4" cartridge tape.

shoebox(1):
	The SCSI id of the disk is 0.

shoebox(2):
	The SCSI id of the disk is 1.
	The SCSI id of the tape drive is 5.

In the configuration file for the kernel I have the following:

disk		sd0 at sc0 drive 0 flags 0
disk		sd1 at sc0 drive 8 flags 0
tape		st0 at sc0 drive 40 flags 1

Everything works fine and it is running release 3.2 right now.

Problem: I want to upgrade to release 3.5. When it comes time to boot the
standalone copy off the tape, "b st()" won't work, because it expects the
standard configuration (tape drive at SCSI id 4).

I see three solutions:

1) Figure out how to specify my tape drive to the prom (and standalone
copy). This will take the form "b st(,x,)" for what x?

2) Make the tape drive be SCSI id 4. How? It is a Sysgen controller, with
a dip switch on the upper left edge of the board, with switches numbers 1
through 4. Currently 1 and 3 are on, 2 and 4 are off.

3) Do the install from a remote tape drive. This appears to be much harder
than you might think.

These are listed in order of my opinion of easy to hard. The remote
install procedure looked like it might be easiest, but it seems to be
incredibly complex. Fixing the SCSI id would be the best, because then
this system would closely resemble a standard configuration.

Thanks for any help,
scott out