document writing systems (FrameMaker warning)

David Fickes berlin%bu-albert.BU.EDU at bu-it.bu.edu
Wed Dec 21 10:24:39 AEST 1988

> We use Frame Maker, from Frame Technology.  It gives you imbedded
> graphics, WYSIWYG document generation, good interface, and great looking
> documents.  [...]  If you import intricate graphics from another source
> FrameMaker will probably ruin them.

I think this is an overly broad statement to make.  Lots of people have
been importing "intricate" graphics without problems.  Try looking at Sun
Technology which is a combination of Frame/Artisan and a few other tools
(plus a bit of hand paste-up).  I think it is more specific to the
type/method you are using for importing your graphics...

> FrameMaker has an internal precision of less than 100 dots per inch!  So,
> although it has the tools to edit graphics pretty nicely, and it looks
> okay on the screen, what gets sent to the printer can end up looking
> pretty sad.

I've never had this problem... even when editing and overlaying graphics
onto 1200 dpi images and then outputing to a 2500 dpi typesetter.

> The tech support person I spoke with on the phone said that it would
> improve some with the next version (in 6 months or so) but that it still
> wouldn't be 300 dpi (which is what most laser printers do).

I believe you've confused two different issues.  One of the questions I'd
like to know is: How do you expect to place graphics on a 72 dpi screen
with a 300 dpi accuracy?  I'd like to know exactly what kind of graphics
you're importing (ESPF, raster images?) before I go into it.

> Such a nice package otherwise, too bad the developers forgot to plug their
> brains in before they started.

Suffice to say I think this is uncalled for.

- david

David K. Fickes				            dfickes at bu-albert.bu.edu
The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein    ...harvard!bu-it!bu-albert!dfickes
Princeton University Press / Boston University            berlin at buita.bu.edu
745 Commonwealth Avenue - room 541		617/ 353-9249
Boston, MA 02215  				617/ 783-4301