Bug in YP password handling

Frank W. Peters peters at csserver.cs.msstate.edu
Thu Dec 1 20:39:51 AEST 1988

Hmmm...we are having a strange problem with a 3/160 running SunOS 4.0.

YP documentation indicates that YP does NOT keep its own copy of the
/etc/passwd file.

Yet...we recently have had trouble with users attempting to change their
passwords.  They change it and all goes well...but when they attempt to
log in later...their password is still the OLD password.  So, naturally,
they log on and try to change their password again...  but the passwd
command ALREADY KNOWS THE NEW PASSWORD! If, however, I make the YP
database the new password takes affect.

Anybody have any idea what's wrong?? And how I can fix it?

Please reply direct if you have any answers...I'd like to fix this
quick.

                Thanks
                Frank Peters

Internet:  peters at CC.MsState.EDU