And then he moved /boot to /usr...

David Collier-Brown mnetor!geac!geaclib!daveb at uunet.uu.net
Fri Dec 9 16:44:34 AEST 1988

I just had a local site fail to reboot, and then to fsck after someone
made a bit of extra space by moving some files from / to /usr.
Regrettably, one of the files was /boot.  (This made it a **bit** hard to
reboot)

Unfortunately, replacing /boot, /vmunix and /etc/fsck didn't do a thing
for the subsequent problem, in which fsck run from the sd0a partition
looped forever. (From mini-unix on sd0b it ran fine).

Does anyone know if the physical position of /boot on the disk is
critical?  I'm wondering if the roms find boot at a fixed offset (or by
the same technique used for coredumps during boot?), or if they know about
the filesystem organization.  Can anyone dilute my ignorance?

--dave (I'm intensely curious: this is just too wonderfull to pass
       up) c-b
--
 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |