Resolving telnet/rlogin protocol error problems

Evan Schaffer evan at ssyx.ucsc.edu
Sat Dec 31 04:01:40 AEST 1988

Let me summarize the steps we've taken to resolve the
telnet/rlogin/protocol error problems we've been having during our 4.0
upgrade:

1. route add default your-gateway 1
   do this early on in /etc/rc.local

2. set your subnet mask and and broadcast address properly

3. DO NOT use aliases (pet host names) in your /etc/hosts.equiv and
.rhosts files. This is the kicker. This caused a lot of problems,
seemingly having nothing to do with /etc/hosts.equiv or .rhosts.

Users note perceived performance increases since the upgrade.