Incremental loading problems with SunOS 4.0

Gil Tene Gil Raz devil at TECHUNIX.BITNET
Thu Dec 1 19:19:20 AEST 1988

"Dynamic, or Incremental loading on SunOS 4.0 question" :

I have been using incremental loading (ld's -A option) for quite some time
now, and had no problems with it up to version 4.0 of SunOS. When I
recompile and load my code on 4.0, The code bombs when calling the
dynamically loaded routine. Old executable code, compiled on 3.x machines,
runs fine on 4.0, and does the incremental loading right.

I assume the problem arrises from SunOS 4.0's addition of sharable
libraries, since I can't find anything else to blame (the kernel MUST be
fine, since it runs my 3.x compiled code). The real problem is that I
cannot get rid of the dynamic loading for C programs. I tried using
-Bstatic in the CC, and even explicitly doing the ld, but they both don't
like it, and won't produce the executable. I pinpointed the problem to
/lib/libc.a, This library (containin lots...) won't load right with
-Bstatic specified.

Does anyone out there have suggestions on how to load C programs without
using 4.0 sharable library features. Or maybe someone has Incremental

        Thanks in advance.

        Gil Tene.
        devil at techunix.bitnet
        devil at tx.tech.ac.il