uudecode Problem

d. majumder mephdbo%prism at gatech.edu
Thu Dec 15 00:59:41 AEST 1988

Hi, I was trying to run Makefile for Touchtool. But there seems to be a
problem of permission denial with the uudecode in the Makefile. The error
message reads "image_touch Permission denied" ?? What do I need to do?

[[ Aahhh!  A candidate for the "often-asked questions" list.  This really
isn't a Sun problem:  it's a Unix problem.  By default, uudecode is
installed setuid to uucp.  So, if uucp cannot create files in the current
directory (as is usually the case), you will get a "permmission denied"
message.  There are two solutions.  The temporary one is to chmod the
current directory to 777 ("chmod 777 ."), do the uudecode, and change the
permissions back.  The permanent one is to simply remove the set-uid bit
from /usr/bin/uudecode (chmod u-s uudecode) since it doesn't really need
it anyway.  --wnl ]]

thanx
Deeptendu