Sun-Spots Digest, v6n106

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu Jun 9 15:38:11 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Wednesday, 8 June 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 106

Today's Topics:
                         The archive server again
                   Franz Lisp is available through SUG
                             Re: Xylogics 753
      The following SUN3/SUN4 benchmark was submitted by a colleague
                  3/50, 3/60 keyboard: <return> & <del>
                       sunview window dumper wanted
                             Vt100tool wanted
                 Looking for a graphics editors for Suns
              Anti-Glare/Polarizing Screen for 19" screens?
            A question about NeWS availability in Switzerland
                        Sun 3-50 SCSI peripherals?
                  Sun 4: timesharing & I/O limitations?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Wed,  8 Jun 88 23:47:02 CDT
From:    William LeFebvre <phil at Rice.edu>
Subject: The archive server again

Astronomical archive requests, Batman!

Well, it turns out that there is quite possibly another reason that people
get an acknowledgement but no later delivery from the archive server.  It
seems that I haven't checked the queue of pending requests very recently.
There are currently over 400 requests waiting for final processing and
delivery.  The server sends out the smallest requests first, regardless of
the order in which they were received.  This means that someone with a
fairly large request might wait a long time before seeing it.  The oldest
requests waiting date all the way back to May 9 and they are about 97K in
total length.  So how did this happen?  Well, I think I have a parameter
set too low.  I'm going to increase it a substantial amount and these
things should start going out a little faster.  I am also preparing the
latest version of the server software for use.  This new version should
fix a few bugs and have a few features that people have asked for.  I
should install it sometime next week.  So be patient with those large
requests.  I will probably be mailing out a queue summary to those who
have requests still waiting so that you will have some sort of idea where
you stand.

William LeFebvre
<phil at Rice.edu>