Sun-Spots Digest, v6n89

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Wed May 18 13:00:55 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Tuesday, 17 May 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 89

Today's Topics:
                        Re: YPbind still trying...
                     Re: Sun4/110 memory information
                 Re: When suntools rereads the root menu
             Re: SLIP on Sun-OS 4.0 - don't hold your breath
                   Re: Cisco terminal servers and SLIP
                    MAXUSERS > 12 in SunOS 3.2 and 3.4
                       SunOS 3.2 MAXUSER>12 bug fix
          Official patch #2 for calctool v2.2. Please apply it.
                          another SunOS 3.2 bug
                      Suns lose track of the console
                       I need a caps lock indicator
            Help:  debugging a program that needs mouse input?
      Wanted: Info on 'IdxTeX', automated index generation for LaTeX
              reliable and customizable Franz Lisp on Sun3?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 12 May 88 11:11:28 PDT
From:    jimc at math.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: YPbind still trying...
Reference: v6n66

Running SunOS v3.4.2, we have the same problem.  <randy at ncifcrf.gov>
reports a solution in Sunspots v6#75 (grab the 3.5 ypbind, ypserv, etc.).
If you don't want to do that, I found that if you do /usr/etc/yp/ypset
<server>, and then scurry around killing ypbind processes before they
multiply, you often can get the machine back.  Restart ypbind after all
the lemmings are dead.  Note, <server> must be a NUMERIC address, since a
YP call is necessary to resolve a site name!

On a voluntary reboot of a YP server, or when I have to restart ypserv, I
go around to each client and ypset to the other server.  I find, for some
reason, that the clients generally settle on the slave server after a few
days, and even the master server sometimes binds to the slave.  Perhaps
it's because of a core/CPU hog that (for reasons too complicated to
explain) only runs on the YP master.  The clients get tired of waiting for
ypserv to swap in on the master, and change over to the slave.

		-- jimc