Sun-Spots Digest, v6n94

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Mon May 23 02:48:25 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Saturday, 21 May 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 94

Today's Topics:
                              Administrivia
                  Re: Darin Johnson's comments on DECnet
                   Re: 4 Fuji-2372's on a single xy451
                    MAXUSERS > 12 in SunOS 3.2 and 3.4
               Anyone worked on inline libraries for SUN-3
               Sun 3/50's:  running 4.0, Clearpoint memory
                  Problems with subnetting and SunOS 3.5
               Desperately seeking Sun network code patch!
                         NFS disk block sorting?
                      Is NFS "secure" in SunOS 4.0?
                          5 1/4'' drive on 386i?
                       Support for ISO 8859 on SUN?
                          rasterfile "shrinker"?
                             cmdtool windows?
         Need help using SunCGI, mouse input, and multiple views

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Sat, 21 May 88 15:50:02 CDT
From:    William LeFebvre <phil at Rice.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

We at Rice have been having some very serious networking problems of late.
For those of you who haven't noticed, bits coming in and out of the Rice
network have been doing slow very slowly, and in some cases not even at
all.  It seems that the line between Rice and the IMP at UTexas is broken,
and Rice's network maintainers have been getting nothing but the runaround
when they try to get someone to fix it.  Consequently, all of our bits
have to travel through NSFNet, and other problems exist there.  I have no
idea when these problems will be fixed, but I do know that it has the
potential for getting worse.  The now imminent midwest ARPANet shutdown
will render the UTexas IMP useless, and soon all of our traffic will be
forced to use NSFNet.  I have been told that starting Monday, our traffic
on NSFNet will be gatewayed better (I'm trying very hard to avoid the
details here).  I hope that by the middle of next week it will all be
better.

Unfortunately, I'm taking a Memorial weekend trip starting the middle of
next week and will be out for five days.  If the network co-operates
between now and then, I should be almost completely caught up (have you
noticed that messages are now getting in to digests about 5 days after
they were sent?---it used to be a two week delay).

If you have been having problems FTP-ing to one of our machines, or
getting files from the archive server, you might want to try again after
Wednesday.  I always get failed archive responses---usually from return
address that were incorrect.  But lately I have gotten a few that were
returned because a host (in one case "sun.com"!) could not be reached for
7 days.  These were due to the network problems.  So please be patient,
and don't be surprised if no digests show up around the Memorial day
weekend.

Finally, there were a few files that I did not put in the archives as fast
as I announced them.   My apologies.  The summary of 4.0 is now available
in the directory "sun-spots" (note that this is the directory that
contains the backissues---NOT the source directory) as "4.0-notes.ms".  It
is not a standard shar file:  the leading "X" characters must be stripped
off by hand with "sed -e 's/^X//'" (this is the way it was sent to me).
The file "sun-source/braggtools.shar" has finally been updated:  the
original shar file sent to me was incomplete.  The shar files for
"calctool2" are now in the "sun-source" directory.  Again I apologize for
the delay in making these available.

William LeFebvre