UUCP, bug or feature

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Fri Nov 11 05:18:05 AEST 1988

>You can always "fake" the connection and do anything you want to the modem
>by saying the connection is "DIRECT" and using the chat script to first
>talk to the modem and dial the modem after setting whatever switches you
>may need.

Another technique that doesn't require you to say the connection is DIRect
is to stick a string starting with "-" (I'm not sure whether the "-" is
necessary), ending with "DT", and containing other modem commands, in
front of the phone number.  For instance:

	site Any ACUHAYES 19200 -S50=255DTxxxyyyyzzzz <chat script>

can be used to force a Telebit to connect only in PEP mode (useful when
calling "uunet").

You can specify various of these strings as dialcodes in L-dialcodes:

	PEP	-S50=255DT

and then do:

	site Any ACUHAYES 19200 PEPxxxyyyyzzzz <chat script>

This seems to work better than making the connections DIRect; since it
goes through the dialer code, it knows whether the call failed because the
dial failed or because the chat script failed, and can then retry other
numbers, for instance.