Yet another finger hole

Steve D. Miller steve at brillig.umd.edu
Wed Nov 23 09:17:58 AEST 1988

It has been pointed out to me by Tony Nardo at APL (trn at warper.jhuapl.edu)
that there's yet another (smallish) problem with finger under at least
SunOS 3.X.  Basically, one can make a symlink from one's own .plan to some
protected file in another user's directory, then take advantage of the
fact that in.fingerd runs from inetd (which runs as root) to read the
"unreadable" file.

The fix, as I see it, is to run a more reasonable inetd (like the 4.3BSD
one, which allows you to specify the user as which a daemon should run),
or to do:

	# chown nobody /usr/etc/in.fingerd
	# chgrp nobody /usr/etc/in.fingerd
	# chmod 6755 /usr/etc/in.fingerd

This will make fingerd run as nobody.

This problem is likely to exist in any system that doesn't provide a
4.3BSD-style inetd.conf.  Whether or not that includes SunOS 4.X, I don't
know, but I'd like to find out.  [[ See the next message.  --wnl ]]

This is sure the week for the security problems to come out of the
woodwork, isn't it!

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve at mimsy.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1808  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742