Help! with RLL controllers

Gregory Bond munnari!melba.bby.oz.au!gnb at uunet.uu.net
Wed Nov 23 07:33:07 AEST 1988

>... But for some reason my disk throughput dropped from roughly
>125k/sec to 50k/sec.  I have a feeling that either the RLL controller is
>defective (I doubt it) or that the Sun-2 cannot keep up with the increased
>transfer rate...
>Thanks, Greg Onufer  //  Focus Semiconductor Systems, Inc.  // 408-738-0600

We had an adaptec 4070 on a sun 3/50 under SunOs 3.4.  It certainly WAS a
dog.  The problem, so I was unofficially told by a Sun person, was that
the Sun diag/setup utility lies about interleave: It accepts options to
change the interleave but doesn't actually change the interleave in the
controller. This means the format is done at interleave 2 which is just a
touch too small for the contoller or cpu to keep up.

We kept with it, because 1) we NEEDED the extra storage and 2) it was
still faster to have root/swap/tmp on this slow disk than ND to the other
3/50+shoebox server.

Gregory Bond, Burdett Buckeridge & Young Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Internet: gnb at melba.bby.oz.au    non-MX: gnb%melba.bby.oz at uunet.uu.net
Uucp: {uunet,mnetor,pyramid,ucb-vision,ukc..}!munnari!melba.bby.oz!gnb