Sun 386i as fileserver

Henry B.J. Krempel krempel at pacrat.npac.syr.edu
Thu Nov 24 03:26:29 AEST 1988

We just got a Sun 386i here, and there are two points that I see as being
relevant:

-by adding another architecture (the 386i) remember that you will have to
store most of an operating system distribution on disk.  This means 100+
MB are used up.  By sticking with the Sun 3,  you can use most of the disk
you buy for your own storage,  even if you want local root and swap.

-the Sun 386i seems real slow to me.  I've logged in remotely to it while
no one was signed on,  and it seems slower than any Sun 3 I've used.
Someone said that the window system was slower in this release, but I
wasn't using windows!