Question about virus fix for SunOS 4.0

Francis Kam mkkam at cs.uh.edu
Thu Nov 24 02:26:07 AEST 1988

>From:    peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce)
>
>I tried the little test line
>   /bin/echo 'abcd' | /usr/ucb/strings -o
>to see if my strings(1) prints out in decimal or octal but it didn't
>produce any output....

Try "/bin/echo 'abcd' | /usr/ucb/strings - -o".  Note the additional '-'.
This gives you a negative index.  But if you try that on sendmail, it
would give you the correct index.  I patched our sendmail with no problem
using strings.

[[ This is all moot, since Sun has recently posted an official fix (with
very thorough instructions) to this newsgroup.  --wnl ]]

Francis Kam                           CSC-3475
Internet: mkkam at cs.uh.edu             Computer Science Department
          mkkam at sun1.cs.uh.edu        University of Houston
CSNET:    mkkam at houston.csnet         4800 Calhoun
Phone: (713)749-1748                  Houston, TX 77004.
       (713)749-4791