Xsun vs. X?

Mike Khaw mkhaw at teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
Wed Nov 30 03:57:42 AEST 1988

What are the differences between the X server named "X" and Xsun?

We have an application (written in Franz Inc's implementation of Common
Windows) that works fine when we start X up with a simple "xinit", but
exhibits poor behavior when started with "xinit -- XSun ..." (when popup
menus are dismissed, the underlying region isn't refreshed, etc.).  I'm
told it has something to do with "X" being a "backing server"(?).

Also, I'd like to run suntools on the color planes of my 3/110 and X on
the b&w overlay plane, but the "X" server seems to take over both sets of
bit planes (Xsun can be told not to, of course, but then I can't run the
above application).

I've RTFM, but I don't see if it's possible to either (a) get "X" not to
take over all the bit planes, or (b) get "Xsun" to act as a "backing
server", if that's the right terminology.

Thanks,
Mike Khaw
internet: mkhaw at teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|ames|hplabs}!mkhaw%teknowledge.arpa
hardcopy: Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303