SunOS 3.2 tip problems

J Dana Eckart dana at gmu90x.gmu.edu
Wed Nov 23 12:40:14 AEST 1988

I have a Sun 2 running SunOS 3.2, my problem is that tip leaves a
LCK..cua0 file in /usr/spool/uucp after "normal" users finishing
"tip"ping. If root runs tip, however, the offending file is removed
automatically.  I also have the problem that tip won't disconnect when the
other modem drops the connection.

In looking at my 4.3bsd manuals (SMM12-11), I find that these were
apparently bugs in 4.2bsd (and thus I assume made it into SunOS 3.2).
What is the recommended way to patch these two problems?  I suppose the
first could be fixed with a simple shell script that called the real tip
and then removed the LCK..cua0 after it was done (I only have one dial-out
line).  The second is more annoying than anything else (this is a personal
machine).  However, it would be nice to get things set "right" if that is
possible.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

J Dana Eckart         UUCP: ...!(gatech | pyrdc)!gmu90x!dana
                            ...!pyrdc!nowhere!dana
                  INTERNET: dana at gmu90x.gmu.edu
                     SNAIL: P.O. Box 236/Fairfax, VA  22030-0236