Problem with <exitting> processes

Leonard Sitongia sitongia at hao.ucar.edu
Wed Nov 23 20:04:00 AEST 1988

>From:    Loki Jorgenson rm 421 <loki at physicsa.mcgill.ca>
>
> I am running a 3/180 as fileserver to four clients with an ALM-2
> multiplexor for 16 terminals and pc's.  On occasion, the ports which host
> connections to the local VAX, modems or terminals become 'hung up' by
> processes which ps describes as <exitting>....

I've seen this problem arrise in two cases, one when a user does a XOFF
(control-s) and then severs the connection to the computer, and the other
case when a telnet is similarly severed.  Unfortunately, I dont know how
to kill a process in this beyond-zombie state.  This brings up another
question: what is the "lbolt" WCHAN?

-Leonard E. Sitongia    System Programmer		 (303) 497-1509
USPS Mail: High Altitude Observatory P.O. Box 3000 Boulder CO  80307
Internet:               sitongia at hao.ucar.edu
SPAN:			NSFGW::"hao.ucar.edu!sitongia"	[NSFGW=9580]