TTY windows (& need for text display window)

Peter Ilieve mcvax!memex.co.uk!peter at uunet.uu.net
Thu Nov 24 01:45:56 AEST 1988

Holland at dockmaster.arpa says in part:
> Also what we really need is a simple text display window!  Not an editor
> and not a tty.

By "Not an editor" I presume he means that the TEXTSW thing is too
powerful. I wanted a text display window so I took a TEXTSW and toned it
down a bit by modifying its menu so it only had the split/destroy view and
find choices, which were still useful to me. The following code does the
trick:

void
FixMenu(view)
    Textsw view;
{
    Menu oldmenu;
    Menu newmenu;

    oldmenu = window_get(view, TEXTSW_MENU);
    newmenu = menu_create(0);
    menu_set(newmenu, MENU_INSERT, 0, menu_get(oldmenu, MENU_NTH_ITEM, 4), 0);
    menu_set(newmenu, MENU_INSERT, 1, menu_get(oldmenu, MENU_NTH_ITEM, 5), 0);
    menu_set(newmenu, MENU_INSERT, 2, menu_get(oldmenu, MENU_NTH_ITEM, 12), 0);
    window_set(view, TEXTSW_MENU, newmenu, 0);
}

This doesn't solve the problem of discarding text scrolled off the top
(this was not something I wanted) but it is a start.

	Peter Ilieve		peter at memex.co.uk