Silicon Graphics Connectivity problems

Danielle Heinzer ESC1298 at ESOC.BITNET
Wed Nov 23 02:00:23 AEST 1988

We have one Silicon Graphics workstation (Model IRIS 4D/7O) and one Sun
workstation (Model 3/60) in the same room.  The Sun is a client of a Sun
3/260 placed in another room.

We have to transfer files between the IRIS and the Sun.  The Sun is
running SunOS 4.0, the IRIS System V rel. 3.2, with option NFS 3.0.

We have actually a hardwired connection between the Sun 3/60 and the IRIS,
with the normal serial ports (9600 bauds).

The connection with "tip" is actually running, so we can transfer files
via this way.

Would it be better to transfer files via "uucp"?  Would it be possible to
transfer files via "nfs"?  [[ If you had Serial line IP (SL/IP) for 4.0,
you could run SL/IP on the line and then use NFS.  I understand that there
are people working on SL/IP for 4.0, but it is basically a complete
rewrite---the package used under version 3 is very little help.  --wnl ]]

     Regards,

Danielle Heinzer
ESA Computer Department/Computer Services
European Space Operations Centre
Robert-Bosch-str. 5
6100 Darmstadt
West-Germany