Sun-Spots Digest, v7n13

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Tue Nov 15 07:03:48 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Sunday, 13 November 1988      Volume 7 : Issue 13

Today's Topics:
              Re: SUN 386i dos windows problem, and fortran
                      Re: single user while dumping
                        Re: Memory for a Sun 3/50
                      Re: helios memory for SUN-3/50
                      Re: Postscript Interpreter (2)
                             Patch to fstat.c
                     sgi <-> sun 1/4" tape transfers
             Appendix Examples from "Writing Device Drivers"
                Sun Education January - June 1989 Schedule
                 Lurnix announces two Sun related classes

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 3 Nov 88 14:35:29 EST
From:    shenkin at cubsun.bio.columbia.edu (Peter Shenkin)
Subject: Re: SUN 386i dos windows problem, and fortran
Reference: v7n2

>Does anybody know what is the status of SUN fortran for the 386i (as well
>as the status of decnet) ?

I just got a 386i with Sun Fortran.  My number-crunching programs run just
twice as fast (actual measurements) on it as on a Sun 3-180 also running
SunOS 4.0.  On the latter machine, there was no improvement over f77
running under SunOS 3.4.  On the Sun 3, the times were VAX 11/780-like.

Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, Columbia University
New York, NY   10027  NEW TEL !!: (212) 854-1418 (work);  (212) 829-5363 (home)
shenkin at cubsun.bio.columbia.edu    shenkin%cubsun.bio.columbia.edu at cuvmb.BITNET