Sun-Spots Digest, v7n10

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Thu Nov 10 16:44:05 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Wednesday, 9 November 1988     Volume 7 : Issue 10

Today's Topics:
                Re: Remote booting a Sun-3/280 -- failure!
                         Re: emergency bootables
                        Re: TTY Windows in SunView
                        Re: UU[EN|DE]CODE troubles
                 Summary of troff previewers for the Sun
                         GNU-EMACS 18.51 and 386i
               386i's MS-DOS emulator and Postscript output
                       not playing with a full deck
                         Sun 4/110, OS4.0 Crashes

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 1 Nov 88 20:45:39 PST
From:    pyramid.com!leadsv!hart at cs.utexas.edu (Howard Hart)
Subject: Re: Remote booting a Sun-3/280 -- failure!
Reference: v6n273

> problem is that when standalone copy is running, we try:
>
>	From: ie(0,80c65,0)minifs
>
> and it doesn't work.

The above instructions were a typo on Sun's part. It should be:

        From: ie(0,80c65,1)minifs

Where 1 is the number of the public partition, which is most likely the
same for most systems.  There was one more typo a couple of lines down
under section B.9. It should read as below for the same reasons (I may be
wrong on this but its easy to try out.) :

	> b ie(0,80c65,1)boot -a

The writeup is buried in the README first for OS 3.2, page 3

I saw Greg Wood's response in v6n334 and he's probably right about class
A, B and C incompatibilities, but I got exactly the same results on my
class C network where the previous stand/copy worked fine but the minifs
didn't. Try it and see.

Howard C. Hart
Lockheed Missiles and Space Co.
Orgn 59-53, Bldg 593