Sun-Spots Digest, v6n254

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Tue Oct 11 08:14:50 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Sunday, 9 October 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 254

Today's Topics:
               Re: Problem: SLOW Boot on diskless Suns (2)
                          Re: gettimeofday() bug
           Re:  how to invert a panel text item programatically
                        Re: videoing a sun screen
                               Re: GNUPLOT
                 Re: Voice Recognition Hardware/Software
                   Re: facts for purchase justification
                            SUG Yearly Shindig
                       BITNET mangles source files
                      kermit for sun 4, sun os 4.0?
              Converting SunOS 3.x dot.o files to SunOS 4.0?
                      Changing Sunview default font?
                          Postscript previewer?
                        Project Planning Software?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    5 Oct 88 12:37:26 GMT
From:    ehrlich at blitz.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich)
Subject: Re: Problem: SLOW Boot on diskless Suns (1)
Reference: v6n248

Jean-Francois Lamy <lamy at ai.utoronto.ca> said:

>We have 3 3/60s in the same room, on the same DELNI.  Oddly enough, one
>machine is black and white and has never exhibited the slow TFTP problem.
>The colour and the grey-scale ones do it all the time....As I
>recall, Sun's answer for the Sun 2 problem was "reboot until it goes
>quickly".  Sure.

Way back when the DELNI was first introduced by DEC (and I was working
somewhere else) we tried to determine why we got much lower file transfer
rates between machines on the same DELNI.  If my memory serves me
correctly the final word we got was something like "Well, you have to
understand that the DELNI is a multiplexor and not a multiport
tranceiver."  As this came from 'knowledgeable' people we assumed it was
correct, albeit not the answer we wanted to hear.

Appearently there is enough shared logic in the DELNI that trying to
rapidly pump large amounts of data between two ports results in a large
number of 'collisions' being reported.  (Can anyone confirm/deny this?)
When we put the two machines on seperate DELNIs that where connected by
coax the file transfer rates were much closer to the rates we saw when the
machines themselves were directly on the coax.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich at blitz.cs.psu.edu>
The Pennsylvania State University
Department of Computer Science
University Park, PA   16802