background processes

Bob Robison dfsun1!robison at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Sat Dec 30 01:50:33 AEST 1989

In article <3320 at brazos.Rice.edu> maer at curie.nmr.lpc.ethz.ch (Matthias Ernst) writes:

>I recently wrote a program which automatically lowers the priority of
>processes with long computing times. The program monitors all active
[... some stuff deleted...]
>work interactively. Therefore I want to limit the number of background
>processes every user is allowed to start. This can be done very easily by
>sending a SIGSTOP signal to every background process exceeding this

On an almost related topic..... What is the most convenient way (if any)
to save the state of a stopped process to be restarted again after a
scheduled system shutdown.  We have an unfortunate combination of circum-
stances here:  We have jobs that may run in the background for several
days, and we sometimes have occasion to shutdown our machine to
re-configure hardware (i.e. move the array processor elsewhere).  At this
point I have no way of stopping a job that has run for many hours while I
turn power off, then restarting it where it left off.  Is there something
in the manual I'm missing?  Please reply via email to the address below.

Bob Robison	- Southwest Research Institute, Electromagnetics Div.
robison at dfsun1.electro.swri.edu
{sun!texsun, gatech!petro, uunet!cs.utexas.edu}!swrinde!dfsun1!robison